Thursday, December 30, 2010

Black Licorice Birthday Cake

Because what goes better than black licorice and birthday cake? (Answer: Anything!!)


My mom's love for black licorice is unlike anything you can imagine. She gets a family-sized bag for Christmas and for her birthday and it is usually eaten within the hour she receives it (which is why we reserve it for special occasions). So when I asked her what type of cake she'd like for her 45th birthday, it should have come as no surprise to me that she would ask for a black licorice birthday cake. After racking my brain for ideas, I finally created her cake: a black and white zebra cake (made out of licorice, of course) with pink accents around the bottom.
The cake was a funfetti vanilla cake with a homemade vanilla buttercream frosting. For the zebra stripes, I took pieces of the licorice and after carefully cleaning a pair of kitchen scissors, cut the pieces to resemble a zebra pattern, snipping the ends on a diagonal and trimming some of the pieces in the middle.

The smaller bits that I cut off the strips I placed around the cake sides to continue the pattern, and then for the bottom of the cake I tinted some of the vanilla icing pink and piped pearls along the bottom of the cake to give it some color and look a bit more finished.


While everyone else had to pick the licorice off of their piece, mom loved the cake and could not believe that I was actually able to incorporate her love of black licorice in her birthday cake.

 What's the weirdest candy you've used in making cakes/cupcakes?


5 comments:

  1. wow...I am so impressed with your creations!! I didn't know you were so talented in the cupcake arena. Wish I had one right now to eat at the beach with Junie!!!

    Happy New Year's!
    Pam H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorite cake! Who knew black licorice could be so beautiful?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I love this cake! I'm thinking of making one similar to it for my mom. She's crazy when it comes to black liquorice as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ASH, HOW ABOUT AN ELVIS CAKE FOR GRAMMA!!!!

    ReplyDelete