Thursday, December 30, 2010

Wheel of Fortune

One of my sister Jenn's all-time favorite shows is Wheel of Fortune. Yes, she even has her own Spin-ID and will shout out the answer to the puzzles the second she figures it out, no matter where she is or who she is around. Jenn however, is quite picky about her sweets (hence her being so stick-thin and making me being so insanely jealous) and asked for an angel food cake for her birthday cake instead of a regular cake. See, the thing about angel food cakes is that they're typically baked in a circular bunt cake pan with an open center so that the cake sticks to the sides and rises, become lighter and fluffier than a normal cake. However, I didn't think that there would be a lot of room for decorative creativity until I figured out that I could make her a wheel of fortune cake.

Using a really thin, watery icing so that it wouldn't overpower the angel food cake and so that the colors would have a nice shine, I dyed the icing in different bright colors to make the panels in the wheel, and I made a thicker black icing (it turned out slightly gray because of the food coloring I used) to write the numbers and also to make the bankrupt space.

Taking a serrated knife, I made marks in the cake where I wanted the panels to be, trying to get them evenly-spaced and after spreading each one of the colored icings, I used a white frosting to pipe in between each one and around the center. To make the handles on the wheels, I cut a wooden skewer into pieces and pressed them into the cake about 1/4" so that they'd stand upright in the cake.

Jenn was so surprised when she first saw the cake, I loved seeing her reaction.


2 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! You are so creative. Was it difficult to do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not really. Coming up with the idea for the cake was probably the most difficult part for me and then also of course accepting when the idea doesn't turn out as perfectly as you had planned.

    ReplyDelete