Friday, October 28, 2011

Despicable Me Minion Cupcakes

If you haven't seen Despicable Me, go rent or buy it ASAP. It's one of the cutest movies.
 
I made these cupcakes for my mom's third grade class. They're super cute and super easy to make!


 I made brownie cupcakes (I couldn't find the chocolate funfetti mix that I was looking for and used this instead).
 Add oil, eggs, and water.
 And then these little tiny Halloween chocolate chips.
 I used an ice cream scoop to make things easier.
 Fill 2/3 of the way full.
 And bake at 350.
 Now for the minions!
All you need are twinkies, colored twizzlers, smarties, and black gel icing.
 Using clean kitchen scissors, cut the licorice down the center since these were hollow. (I used these flavored twizzlers because I didn't think the kids would like black licorice and I thought blue would be cute.)
 Then I cut them into smaller pieces, about 2 inches long.
 Next, cut each one of the pieces into thirds (just follow along the groves) and peel the twizzlers back to resemble the hair.
 I kept the bottoms intact so that you can insert them into the twinkies easier.
 And now for the eyes. Unfortunately, there are only 1-2 white smarties per package. I ended up just pairing colors and using yellow, pink, white and other colors just so that I didn't have to waste so much candy.
 I used the black gel to make the eyes. I unfortunately didn't have my black food markers, but they would have worked out much better.
 I used a funfetti frosting for the brownies (which I should have filled more full but I had to make 24 cupcakes for the kids so it was a bit of a stretch.
 Now for the body.
 Cut a twinkie in half with a knife.
 And stick the hair into the twinkie until only the split twizzler part is showing. This way they spread a bit and look like the minion hair.
 Now add the eyes.
 Just dab a bit of the white frosting on the back and attach them to the twinkie.
 Try not to get too much frosting on them so that you don't see it around the edges.
 Next, carefully pipe black food gel around the smarties.
 And on the edges for the straps of the goggles. You get better with practice but it's a bit difficult at first.
 Luckily they're supposed to look pretty goofy.
 Just stand upright on the frosting, and then add an expression. The goofier the better because the minions are pretty silly.
 Aren't they cute in their own goofy way?
 Make sure you put the "hair" in pretty far so that they don't fall back in one large clump.
Aren't they funny? 
 Oh, Hi. :)
 I think that one looks like he's winking...or very suspicious, either way.
No matter what you really can't mess these up and they were a huge hit. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment