Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Not So Vegan Chocolate Cupcake Recipe

This recipe is a spin-off to my classic chocolate cupcake recipe that just happens to be vegan. I decided to see what happens if I substituted butter for the oil and milk for the water, thinking they'd be a bit richer and more dense. While the cupcakes were just as good as the other recipe, I honestly didn't see a difference in the two recipes. Use whichever one works best for you!
Not So Vegan Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
 
1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vinegar
 
 Mix dry ingredients.
 Add in wet ingredients and mix.
Note: I made this recipe the same way I did the vegan recipe, so I melted the butter and added it with the wet as I did the oil. This recipe however might be more successful if you actually creamed the butter with the sugar to make sure it incorporates completely. That's probably how I'll try it next time, but this way worked just as well.
 Fill cupcake liners 2/3-3/4 of the way full. I like full, rounded cupcakes so I fill mine almost 3/4 full.
 Bake at 350 degrees for 12-18 minutes or until they bounce back when lightly touched. (I usually use a knife and tap them on the top, if it makes an indent, they're not done yet, if it bounces back, they're ready.)
 See the nice rounded tops? These cupcakes always seem to crack right away, sometimes even cracking while the middles are still raw. I'm not sure why but I'll look into it. Maybe my oven is too hot?
These cupcakes have a wonderful rich chocolaty flavor. You just can't go wrong with either recipe.  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Hi there. Food on Friday: Muffins and Cupcakes is open for entries. This looks like a neat one! I do hope you link it in. This is the link . Please check out some of the great links there are already. Cheers

    ReplyDelete