Friday, December 14, 2012

'Stashing Through the Snow Chocolate Hot Cocoa Cake

 
So, I wanted to think of something really creative and easy to enter into the Creative Holiday Recipe Contest hosted by Confessions of a Cookbook Queen and Cookies and Cups. Not that I could ever measure up to Kristan and Shelly, let's be honest. (What? It's not weird that I feel like I'm best friends with them but they don't know who I am. I'm allowed to use their real names. There's no Internet law. Wait, what? There is? And that's  related to the field of law I want to go into? I'm supposed to be a real lawyer someday? Hmm....).
 
Anyways! Have you seen those little ornaments on Pinterest that say "stashing through the snow"? This is where I got the idea for this crazy cake. Mustaches are totally in right now and I've been dying for a reason to make a mustache cake. (Weird, I know, but have you seen the mustache bash parties? They look awesome.)
Mustaches aren't all that Christmas-y, so I decided to jazz it up a bit and make this a chocolate hot cocoa cake to tie it into the Christmas theme a bit more. And come on, doesn't that Christmas wrapping paper fit perfectly? All you need is a little Christmas sombrero and some taco chips.
 The only problem? (Besides being out of tortilla chips, which really is an issue,) was that I didn't have any hot chocolate mix! But, after doing some research, I found out that hot chocolate mix is cocoa powder, powdered sugar, and powdered milk (which you add water to so it's really just like regular milk anyways, right?). So I decided to make my own hot chocolate mix. Combine equal parts cocoa powder and powered sugar. I used 1/4 cup each.
 And a lot of homemade cocoa recipes used creamer instead of milk, so I used this half and half as a substitute for the milk in the chocolate cake recipe. I had the half and half leftover from making my white chocolate ganache for the volleyball cupcakes, it was a good excuse to use it.  
 Next, mix the dry ingredients of the cake replacing the cocoa powder called for in the recipe with the hot chocolate mix (either the homemade powdered sugar mixture or the real deal if you have it).
 Add all of the wet ingredients except for the water, substituting half and half for the milk in the recipe.
 Boil a cup of water and after mixing the ingredients, add it to the batter. Grease two 9" baking rounds and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
 For the frosting, I again used my hot chocolate mixture as a substitute for the cocoa powder and the half and half for the milk. (See recipe below).
 The frosting was wonderfully light and fluffy. It tasted just like that first sip of hot cocoa where you're drinking half of the melted whipped cream and half of the cocoa. Which is the best part, obviously.
 Carefully turn out one of the cakes onto a sheet of wax paper.
 And cut a ying-yang design into the cake, trying to create two equal halves.
 Flip one half over, creating the mustache.
It's okay if the two halves are a little uneven, just carve it down a bit with a knife and eat the cake scraps. (Again, obviously). 
 Frost the mustache with the chocolate hot cocoa frosting. Frost in a swooping motion to create nice lines in the mustache and make it a little clearer what it is.
 I thought this Christmas wrapping paper fit the theme I was going for perfectly. But look at the difference it made having the wax paper over the wrapping paper.
 So I decided to try to cut around the mustache and peel back the wax paper. Tacky, I know.
 And look, it's still so obvious. My wax paper is showing. Embarrassing, I know.
I decided to change the direction of the stripes too. Mixing things up a bit. Anyways, let me know if you have any questions you mustache, please don't be shaving them for later. Sorry for such a corny post! Have a wonderful Christmas, and again, thank you Kristan and Shelly for such a wonderful contest, and if you aren't already, you really should check out their blogs, they're much better than mine (shh! don't tell!!). Merry Christmas everyone!
 
 
Chocolate Hot Cocoa Cake Recipe:
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder (hot chocolate mixture)
3/4 t. baking soda
3/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 egg
1/2 cup milk (half and half)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 t. vanilla
1/2 cup boiling water
 
Combine dry ingredients and mix. Combine all wet ingredients except the boiling water. Once mixed, add the boiling water and stir. Grease two 9" round cake pans and pour batter equally into the pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
 
Chocolate Hot Cocoa Frosting Recipe:
1/4 cup butter flavored Crisco (optional)
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
2 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup hot chocolate mix (or cocoa powder)
3 T. half and half (or milk)
 
Combine ingredients. Try not to eat the entire bowl before frosting the cake.

3 comments:

  1. So... I mustache you a question...

    Will you please make me one of these cakes?!

    Love your creativity! You made it look easy!!

    ReplyDelete