Thursday, December 13, 2012

White Chocolate Ganache Volleyball Cupcakes

White chocolate ganache dipped volleyball cupcakes. What could be better? 
I made these big and little cupcakes for our club volleyball meet the team last Saturday. No one really said anything, but I thought they were adorable. They must have been good though, because they were gone by the end of the meeting!
These cupcakes were made using my not so vegan chocolate cupcake recipe, found here.
To make the white chocolate ganache, I used half a bag of hersheys white chocolate chips, 2 T of butter cut into pieces, and 1/8-1/4 of a cup of half and half. Place the chocolate chips in a bowl with the butter.
Heat the half and half on the stove. Note: I thought 1/8 of a cup was way to little of half and half (it barely filled the bottom of this tiny pan!) and so I added another splash, hence the 1/8-1/4 c. measurement.
Bring the half and half (or you can use cream) to a boil and then pour over the chocolate chips and butter. Let it sit for 3-5 minutes.
After a few minutes, stir the chips. Like magic, they'll turn to ganache right before your eyes.
Just keep stirring....
...and stirring.
Until it's a beautiful thin white chocolate glaze.
Wait for the glaze to cool completely before dipping the cupcakes. If it's too thin (see above, yikes!!) place it in the fridge for a few minutes.
Make sure you let the excess drip off completely or else it will run down the sides. A bit thicker and the results were so much better. The coverage still wasn't as thick as I'd like, as you could see chocolate through the ganache, but beggars can't be choosers.
I felt like Goldilocks. The first cupcake was way too thin. The cupcake on the right was after refrigerating the ganache for a few minutes (so thick it was like a  chocolate butter), but the middle cupcake was juuust right. For that one, after having the ganache in the fridge, I microwaved the bowl for 5 seconds just to soften it a bit. It ended up being the perfect consistency.
The cupcakes were all across the board in terms of looks and coverage. I was planning on giving them all a second dip, hoping that they would look a bit more put together but I ran out of time and ganache.
Luckily, once you pipe the volleyball on them, you don't even notice the mistakes! Everyone remember how to draw a volleyball? Look at a picture of one if you need to. I do three curved lines first, trying to keep them evenly spaced.
Next pipe in the vertical lines in each section. Don't be too hard on yourself, I thought a lot of them looked really bad, but when you put them all together I think it's a lot less noticeable.
Each volleyball is unique, but that's okay.
I really recommend using store bought black icing (I used a black sparkle gel). I just think they look a lot more professional then a homemade grey-ish black frosting would.
Which do you prefer, big, or little?
See the goofy thick ganache one in the bottom right corner? Even if blends into the sea of volleyballs.
I think the minis are still my favorite. Especially for an event like this. It's much less awkward to talk to a parent after stuffing a mini cupcake in your mouth than it would be if it were full-sized. Out of all of the volleyball cupcakes I've made, which are your favorite?


1 comment:

  1. I love these. Very cute cupcakes. I think these are my favorite VB ones.

    ReplyDelete