Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Cut-out Cookie Recipe

Here's the cut-out cookie recipe that I used for my recent posts. I adapted the recipe from Sweet Sugarbelle, found HERE. Bakerella also uses her sugar cookie recipe btw. It's that good. This recipe is amazing for multiple reasons. First, it has super easy ingredients that you're almost guaranteed to have. (If the only guarantees in life weren't death and taxes.) Second, there's not a ton of flour! So many cut-out cookies are so doused in flour that it's all you taste. This dough is sweet and sugary, super easy to roll out, and has a nice crumbly texture that doesn't require ANY flour when you roll it out. Shocking, I know. Okay, enough chit chat, here you go:

Ingredients:
3 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 c. sugar
2 sticks of butter
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

Seriously, that's it. I changed the butter from salted to unsalted (it didn't need salt in my opinion) and omitted the almond extract (gross, who has that?) and increased the vanilla slightly.
Start with your butter and sugar. 
Cream them together until you get a thick buttery paste. I like to sit in front of the TV and chop at the butter, smashing it down into the sugar and stirring continuously until the sugar is completely incorporated. It's not that scary, I promise.
 Add the flour, baking powder, egg, and vanilla. It's going to be crumbly. Once you can't stir anymore, begin to knead the dough a bit with your (clean) hands.
Knead the dough until it all comes together into a big beautiful ball of yummy goodness. Roll out onto wax paper with a rolling pin (no flour necessary, the dough shouldn't stick--but if it does you can sprinkle flour or powdered sugar to prevent sticking). Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet (I lined my baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleaning and the cookies were a breeze to remove) at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment