Saturday, January 26, 2013

Egg Croissant Breakfast Cupcakes


The breakfast cupcakes were so good that my stomach is grumbling just posting these pictures. Can I call these cupcakes? My first day in Advocacy class (a law school class basically teaching you how to argue and debate orally and in writing) my partner Lindsey and I debated if muffins were considered a cupcake. I said muffins should absolutely be considered a cupcake and it's completely wrong that they are discriminated against just because they're ugly. What do you think? Is anything baked in a cupcake tin a cupcake? Or does it have to be sweet/have frosting/be baked in a cupcake liner? For the sake of argument I'm calling pretty much anything a cupcake just so that I can blog about it. Deal?
Anyways, these are super quick and easy, they bake in 10-15 minutes, and they would be absolutely wonderful to make if you needed to make breakfast for a group of people. Or a group of one. There's no judgement here. 
Plus these little puppies are so versatile that they would be good with just about anything mixed in--bacon, ham, sausage, spinach--anything that might consider putting in an omelet (which really is ANYTHING these days). I put chopped broccoli and cheese in mine and was wishing that I had some pieces of ham to throw in. Guess I'll just have to make them again--oh darn!

 All you need for the basic recipe is crescent rolls (I used reduced fat and couldn't tell the difference), eggs, and cheese (I used shredded Mexican cheese as well as American cheese slices but liked the shredded cheese a bit better). 
Grease a cupcake tin generously and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Open your crescent roll dough and try not to scream bloody murder and wake the neighbors when it finally pops open. Unroll a triangle square and gently place it in a cupcake tin.
 I used quite a few methods. The dough will stretch a bit in your hands if you want to form a perfect cup to hold the egg, like so. I pieced the edges together, working the dough around the sides of the cupcake tin like I did with my pizza cupcakes.
 Or, you can wrap the dough around with overlapping pieces which I thought was a bit prettier. This way there will be a piece of the triangle overlapping the egg mixture and creates a crispy piece of dough on top of the cupcake. 
 Honestly though, after trying quite a few techniques I felt like they were all so good that it really didn't seem to matter.
 I made these two main ways. The first was to just crack an egg into each "cup" of dough. This created more of an egg effect than an omelet effect--you could see the egg whites and the egg yolk inside of the cupcake.
 The second way I used was to chop up some broccoli (I know it sounds a bit weird but trust me. The broccoli was so good that Will and I found ourselves fighting over the ones with broccoli in them). 
Once the broccoli was chopped into small pieces, I scrambled three eggs into a bowl to make three cupcakes. The cupcakes almost always fit a ratio of one egg per cupcake, even with the toppings mixed in. 
 Once the eggs are scrambled add in the broccoli pieces and some shredded cheese and mix.
 Pour the mixture (carefully!) into the remaining crescent roll cups.
 Top all of the cupcakes with a bit more cheese.
 I used both shredded Mexican and some American cheese slices. I think I liked the shredded cheese slightly better but the American cheese was still yummy, just not as noticeable.
 Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
 Warning! These made QUITE a mess. Some of the egg dripped out over the pan and into the oven. 
 Lets just say, the next time I used my oven it smelled like burnt eggs--not a pleasant smell to say the least.
 But the cupcakes were so good, I almost couldn't be mad.
 Full off egg, cheese, and broccoli with a nice doughy crunch.
I guess I filled them too full. You might want to try using less egg and using a ration of 2 eggs:3 cupcakes next time and see how they turn out.
 Or maybe place the cupcake tin over a baking sheet to catch any drops? 
 Regardless, these were so worth it to make. 
 They're quicker and easier than making omelets since all you have to do is mix, pour, bake. 
You seriously cannot beat this warm, flaky, cheesy goodness. 
Breakfast: it's worth waking up for.

2 comments:

  1. mmmm, those look delish!!you have to make those for me next time your home:)
    Keep up the awesome grades...3.769 is amazing!
    LU
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you for eating broccoli!!

    ReplyDelete