Sunday, January 13, 2013

Spongebob Squarepants Cupcakes

I made theses Spongebob cupcakes for my mom's third grade class last weekend. Sometimes keeping things very simple is the best way to go.
The kids absolutely loved them, and immediately knew exactly who he was, despite the lack of expression. 


 I modified my typical chocolate (not-so-vegan) cupcake recipe, melting the butter into the sugar immediately.
 And also because we were out of vinegar I substituted lemon juice. I'll post the recipe for you guys. They were pretty good cupcakes!
To make a good Spongebob, I decided to try to make the cupcakes square. I had seen on pinterest where someone had baked cupcakes in a heart shape in order to create a nice cupcake cake that could be frosted as an entire cake but was pull-apart. I used the same concept of using a pan to bake the cupcakes in instead of a typical circular cupcake tin.
 I'll post a tutorial on making square cupcakes to show my trial and errors. This 8"x8" square baking pan was by far the best pan to create nice, square cupcakes.
 Some of the pans didn't work quite so well...I definitely had some lumpy and rectangular 'sponges.'
Whip up a batch of buttercream frosting (recipe to follow) and tint it bright yellow. 
 Frost your squares.
 Well, they're mostly square...
 To create the sponge-like texture, I used the end of a (cleaned and sanitized) Sharpie marker. I had thought about using a nail polish cap, a pen cap, the end of a highlighter, a straw, and a knitting needle. They were all too small or too large, I really liked the look the texture made by the Sharpie marker. Let the frosting of the cupcakes set up a bit (I frosted them the night before, but you could leave the frosted cupcakes out on the counter for 30 minutes to an hour for the same results). 
I had thought about crimping the edges with the sharpie but I didn't like how they turned out so I scrapped the idea. It might have looked better if the scalloped edges were made with something larger to create lesser effect. I was pretty happy with the cupcakes just being square.
 Using a Ziplock bag I piped on two large eyes with white buttercream. Spongebob is known for his wide-eyed expression, so I made them a bit large and close together. 
 Once you have the eyes, dye some buttercream blue and add it to a Ziplock bag, snipping the tip of the bag.  Since I was only using small amounts of the frosting and the eyes didn't need to be perfect I didn't bother using a piping bag and tip.
 Use the blue frosting to create Spongebob's pupils.
 And that's it! How easy is that? All you need is white, blue, and yellow frosting and a Sharpie maker. 
 And they're so cute!
Some are more rectangles, and some have scared eyes or crazy eyes, but...
 ...they look MUCH better than trying to make a face! TRUST ME. I thought I could handle a cartoon, turns out I was very wrong.
 They looked horrible! Not to mention I had problems with my black frosting.
 These could be the new Chuckie in a horror film.
 I tried to salvage his expression and ended up making a 5 o'clock shadow. Slightly funny if you ask me...
 Ahh!! Make it stop!
 Is this Dori? From Finding Nemo??
 Here was the pile for me to eat. So awful! Seriously, I was so happy to just stop at the eyes and call it a day. Less time, less effort, and exponentially better looking cupcakes.
 And, just in case you were wondering, I also tried making one pan of regular cupcakes, just in case the squares were a catastrophe.
 Still poke the holes as usual. 
Add eyes with the white buttercream. 
 And blue for the pupils.
 But they just aren't nearly as cute.
Or as recognizable.
 Isn't that better? It's amazing the different you see between the squares and the circular cupcakes.
These are seriously so easy to make and yet they are still so cute. If you ever need to make cupcakes for third grades, these are my #1 that I've made so far. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Adorable!!! I can't wait to make these for boomer once he's older :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The school kids loved these! They wanted to know what the next cupcake will be.....you're spoiling my class.

    ReplyDelete