Sunday, January 6, 2013

Volleyball Cake

 Since my 'staching through the snow' cake only used one 9" round cake, I had an extra cake to decorate. Decorating a round cake can be slightly difficult, and instead of trying to be creative I decided to recreate my volleyball cupcakes in cake form.
I think this was the best frosting recipe that I have ever made.

 The chocolate cake didn't come out cleanly, but just place the cake pieces where they should go and cover it with lots of frosting.
 I'll post the recipe for this frosting, but I used butter-flavored Crisco, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and half and half.
 It was so rich and creamy, yet the crisco kept the frosting whipped and fluffy.
 A nice dollop of frosting covers all of the cake crumbs and keeps the cake from falling apart into the nice white frosting.
 I was in a hurry so I didn't worry about getting the frosting nice and smooth.
 I like using this black sparkle writer to draw the volleyball, but any black frosting with a writing tip would work just fine. Begin to draw the volleyball with three curved lines.
 Then just fill in each section. It's as easy as that!
 The volleyball will look better from certain angles, so if the cake doesn't look quite right, try rotating the cake and see if that helps.
 Such a quick and easy way to make a cute cake. Soccer balls, basketballs, tennis balls--the possibilities are endless.
YUM!

1 comment: