Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sprinkles Cupcakes in Chicago, IL

While in Chicago, IL, last weekend, Will and I had to make a stop at Sprinkles Cupcakes. The cupcakes definitely did not disappoint! They were a bit overpriced but absolutely amazing. Overall, I think you could say that about our entire Chicago trip--overpriced, but amazing.
Sprinkles Cupcakes claims to be the first cupcake bakery, established by Candace Nelson (current judge on Cupcake Wars) in Beverly Hills. Now they have established Sprinkles Cupcakes in many big cities all over the country and also offer several delivery and event options on their website.
Here is the iconic Sprinkles Cupcake ATM. Unfortunately, outside it was about 9 degrees (before the windchill), so we didn't stand outside to try it out and went directly inside instead.
The outside of the building was really cute with the giant Sprinkles logos and rainbow paneling. The actual space of the cupcake shop was much smaller than I anticipated. There were 4 people in line in front of Will and I and we were pushed up against the door for lack of more room in the store.
I chose a box of 4 (1 for $3.50, 4 for $14 and 12 for $39). They had about 10-12 flavors of cupcakes, 15-20 of each available (some popular flavors only 10-15), only full-sized, no mini cupcakes, however they did have a few mini "pup"cakes for dogs. Will and I chose (clockwise from the top left) chocolate marshmallow (similar to a Hostess ding-dong, peanut butter chip chocolate, salted caramel (my favorite!), and cinnamon sugar (our least favorite). 
We sat at the cute little cupcake bar at the windows to share the first cupcake before our long drive home. If I had to rank the cupcakes, I would say: salted caramel > peanut butter chip > chocolate marshmallow > cinnamon sugar. Will would have switched the peanut butter chip (his favorite) and the salted caramel. I thought the chocolate marshmallow would be one of my favorites (you KNOW I love marshmallows) but the cupcake was dipped in a very bittersweet dark chocolate ganache and didn't have enough of the sweet marshmallow filling for my taste. 
I also bought this ridiculously overpriced (but very cute) Sprinkles Chicago long-sleeved shirt. I figured it would be a nice memento of the trip and the sprinkles on the sleeve are really cute. I thought that they would have more t-shirts for sale but this was the only one they offered that said Chicago. 
Overall, Sprinkles Cupcakes was just a wonderful experience and I would highly recommend their cupcakes to absolutely anyone!

1 comment:

  1. do we see a future "side" business?? :)
    glad you two had fun!
    LU
    Dad

    ReplyDelete