Thursday, April 4, 2013

Healthy Broccoli Spinach Egg and Cheese Cupcakes

These broccoli, spinach, egg, and cheese "cupcakes" make a really nice single-serving healthy meal and are so easy to make.

 
First, cook your broccoli. I used frozen baby broccoli florets and microwaved them in a covered bowl filled with a cup of water for about 2 minutes. You could absolutely skip this step, but I hate crunchy broccoli and wanted to make sure it was completely cooked.
 Next, wash and chop your spinach. I used baby spinach leaves and cut them into small pieces.
 Since this meal was just for me, I only needed two eggs, which makes 4-5 cupcakes, depending on how full you fill the muffin tin. (NOTE: Do not overfill the muffin tin or else the egg mixture will begin to spill over and onto your oven, and no one likes the smell of burnt eggs!).
 Whisk the eggs together and then add in the drained broccoli and spinach leaves.
 Spoon into a greased muffin tin and top with shredded cheese. You can also mix the cheese into the egg mixture, however it isn't as noticeable and to keep the calories lower I chose just to sprinkle the cheese on top. 
 Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure the eggs are completely cooked by cutting into the center of one of the cupcakes or checking to see if they have set up.
That's it! Such a yummy, easy meal. 
Note: I've made a similar recipe using crescent rolls as a "cupcake liner" to hold the egg mixture, and honestly I did not miss the crescent rolls at all--and I'm someone who loves bread and lives for carbs! You definitely need to eat with a fork, whereas the crescent roll version you could pick up and eat but other than that I really thought it was better to cut out those extra calories and omit the rolls all-together. Try it both ways and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment