Thursday, April 4, 2013

Hiding Bunny Easter Cupcakes

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter!
These cupcakes were so easy to make and yet are still really cute. All you need is white chocolate, sprinkles (or sugar), and green frosting (and cupcakes of course!). 

 I started with a Funfetti cupcake mix.
All you need is eggs, oil, and water. I like using cake mixes when I'm in a time crunch and want to be able to spend time decorating a cupcake and not on actually baking them.
 These were mini cupcakes for my mom's third grade class (she has 25 kids and most box mixes you can only get 24 big nice cupcakes and I wanted to have some extra).
 Aren't they cute?
 While these are baking, I made the white chocolate decorations. You want to leave time to let them dry completely (or place them in the freezer to harden). 
 For the bunny tails, pipe a large dot of white chocolate and sprinkle with sprinkles or sanding sugar (or plain white sugar if you don't have any). 
 How easy is that? (Added bonus--they taste so good!)
 For the bunny ears, pipe lines of white chocolate in the shape of a large P. Keep them pretty thick so that the chocolate doesn't break off when pushed into the frosting.
 
Make sure you make a few extra just in case any break!
 Once the cupcakes are finished...
...whip up a batch of buttercream frosting and dye it a bright "grassy" green. 
 
To frost the cupcakes I used this tip (usually used for borders and making shells). You could frost the cupcakes just using a knife, which I did for some, or by cutting the corner off of a plastic sandwich bag.
  I used this tip because it slightly resembles the frosting tip usually used for grass (which I don't have). It gave the cupcakes a more 3-D effect but honestly, I think as long as the frosting is green it doesn't matter what technique you use to make the grass.
 Frost the cupcakes using the green buttercream once the white chocolate pieces have hardened.
 Carefully peel the white chocolate bunny ears and tails off of the wax paper and immediately place them into the frosting of the cupcake. You don't want to frost the cupcakes too early or else it may harden and the ears may not stay up. 
 You can also very carefully push the ears down further into the top of the cupcake if you have a problem with them staying up.
 I didn't have any problem with mine, but I make a pretty stiff buttercream frosting which helps the decorations stay put.
 How cute are the little bunny tails? The sanding sugar really gave the chocolate some texture and depth.
 Happy Easter!
 P.S. Can you spot the different frosting techniques I used? See how some are piped grass and some are just frosted? I think they both look just as good, personally.
You could also decorate the grass with some jelly beans or little flowers. Since these were mini cupcakes I didn't want them to get too crowded.
Hope everyone had a great Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment